写真 真言宗御室派 慈眼院


A Brief History of Jigenin Temple
  This temple was established in 673 by a priest named Kakugo, by the order of the emperor Temmu. It is said to be the oldest temple in the Senshu district of Osaka and now belongs to the Omuro School of the Shingon Sect of Buddhism.
  About one hundred years after its establishment, emperor Shomu designated this temple as his official temple and he added 150 tons of rice to the incom of this temple.

  Druring two years from 834, Kobo Daishi who founded the Shingon Sect of Japan, stayed here and constructed the Tahoto-pagoda, Kondo-hall and many other temple buildings. Jigenin became a magnificient temple. But after that time, the temple had repeated unfortunate incidents of burning down many times because of war fires.

  For instance, in 1353, there was a big war between two emperors and Jigenin was destroyed in the war fire. At that time there were two houses of emperors called the Southern Count and the Northern Court. That was the only one time in Japanese history when two courts existed. They fought each other for many years. Some years later, two emperors named Go-Murakami and Go-Kameyama ordered the reconstruction of Jigenin.

  In 1585 Nobunaga Oda, the first shogun to try to unify Japan, attacked this district and Jigenin was destroyed except for Kondo and Tahoto. The destruction of this time was restored in 1602 by Hideyori Toyotomi, the son of Hideyoshi Toyotomi who finaly unified Japan for the first time.

  From the later part of the 17th century this temple was worshiped by a Daimyo named Okabe, the ruler of the Kishiwada district of Osaka, who ordered the repair of this temple. At that time, the present name of the temple,“Jigenin”, was given by the Ninnaji-temple of Kyoto.

  Although having experienced many fires, there remain some beautiful treasures like Tahoto and Kondo. Tahoto is noted for its beauty and compactness. It is only 10 meters high, but is designated a National Treasure. There are many people who see the essence and elegance of Japanese construction in this small pagoda. The Kondo was constructed in 1271. This hall is also quite small, but it retains the style and the beauty of the time when it was built. It is also designated as an Important Cultural Property of our country.

  In the beautiful garden, with naturally sculptured trees, a new tea ceremony house named Chisokuan was constructed in the winter of 1988 where many people practice and enjoy tea ceremony.



JIGENIN
626,Hineno,Izumisano-city,Osaka,598-0021,Japan
TEL:072-467-0092

Japanese   MAP